Wednesday, December 8, 2021

From a strange planet - 45

More church cams from Ireland

Last time I told you how I discovered the Irish church webcams. I told you about the mysterious atmosphere of these churches by night. I told you about the altar lamps, burning above the tabernacle , and the silence and peace that these images exude.

Today I will show you more of these church interiors, both by night and by day. But I will also show you the exterior of these churches. Thankfully, Google streetview has covered Ireland, so I can show you the outsides belonging to these insides.

You already know my pictures of the Norwegian traffic cams. When I explore the surroundings of these cameras on Google streetview, I find original, unexpected and mysterious places.

But exploring the surroundings of these churches, I don't many similar places. I find relatively normal suburbs, and it takes more work to find a place with a special atmosphere.But I found them!

 Parish of Ballyclog & Donaghenry - Google streetview

This is a brutalist church with beautiful trees and lawns.
I like it.
And from the surroundings: a Hockney lane.

St Mary and St Joseph’s Church - Google streetview

This is a classic church, with a beautiful churchyard.
It has no spire. It feels a bit plump, but it has character.
And from the surroundings: artificial trees.

St. Theresa's - Google streetview

This is another brutalist church.
It is even more rectangular than the other brutalist church.
I like it also. If I had to choose, I would go to church here.
The spire in he background belongs to another church.
The spire does not belong to the Baptist church, just around the corner.
The spire belongs to the Presbyterian church, also around the corner.
And this must be "Sion Mills".

No comments:

Post a Comment