Sunday, July 29, 2018

Urban mushroom diary 18 - spring 2018

In the spring of 2018 it looked like it might become a nice mushroom year. While not actively searching for fungi I saw several interesting ones.
8 April 2018 - A very common parasitic mushroom Kretzschmaria deusta.
And on the same tree Trametes hirstutus. Both these mushrooms are present all year round, so these do not predict if it will be a good mushroom year. I used to ignore them as "not really interesting" but I've changed my opinion.
And in this same arboretum (Arboretum Trompenburg) there is a plantation of Shii take mushrooms. But in this season I didn't see any yet.
22 April 2018 - The first "real" mushroom. I was waiting for it because it's quite common in our city park. Polyporus squamosus. Wikipedia says: The mushroom's smell resembles watermelon rind. That's right and it's not a very tasty smell.
The underside of the mushroom is very beautiful, with its pore pattern. You can see those patterns in other species too. 
24 June 2018 - I saw the same mushroom once again in June, but then it was smaller and very dry. It could also be Polyporus tuberaster.
20 April 2018 - Then in April I saw this bundle of mushrooms. At first I thought that these were remains from last year. But I doubted that they could survive the winter. Then I saw more of them in other places in the city park. And when I looked in the mushroom book I knew I should have recognized them: coprinus! They have all the signs of the species. More precisely: Coprinus micaceus.
28 April 2018 - I went to look for mushrooms in the Rotterdam Museum of Natural history. They have two exhibits. Here are: Basidiomycota. In front you see: Ganoderma applanatum, Polyporus badius and Trametes versicolor.
And here are Ascomycota. In the glass jar: Morchella hortensis.


Urban mushroom diary:

No comments:

Post a Comment