It is easy to make fun of the orb “believers”. Many studies have demonstrated that orbs are natural optical phenomena. But it is more fruitful to see them as original researchers:
- They observe the world with curiosity - which is always good to do.
- They gather big sets of observational data - using the scientific method.
- They analyse the data and reach original and creative conclusions.
Scientists and sceptics will disagree with their conclusions. But their originality and creativity are undeniable. I have read the two books that are available in the Rotterdam library and give the most interesting conclusions below.
From the book Orbs and other light phenomena by Ed Vos:
At first I tried to find a rational explanation for the light spheres on the photographs. Being a professional photographer with an education in the exact sciences it has always been a challenge for me to analyse unexpected occurrences in photographs. But slowly I had to admit that this was a special phenomenon.
The book contains detailed analyses of orb pictures and their brightness, texture, colour and shape. Some of the conclusions are:
- Orbs are a multi-dimensional (energy) phenomenon.
- Orbs have consciousness and we can communicate with them, both vocally and telepathically.
- Some people photograph more orbs than others because their frequencies resonate more with the orb frequencies.
- Sometimes orbs manifest themselves in both the visual and audible frequencies.
And the book Enlightenment Through Orbs by Diana Cooper and Kathy Croswell adds the following conclusions:
- Orbs are manifestations of angels and spiritual masters. They want to stimulate our curiosity so that we research the phenomenon.
- The orb-shape has been chosen because the circle symbolizes wholeness and completeness.
- Some orbs are manifestations of the archangels. Specifically: Michael, Gabriel, Uriel, Chamuel, Metatron, Sandalphon, Purlimiek, Gersisa and Butyalil.
- Other orbs are manifestations of spirits, elementals and unicorns (ascended seven-dimensional white horses belonging to the angelic sphere).
The combination of modern technology, medieval and renaissance esotericism, semi-modern physics and New Age is very interesting. The study of orbs reminds me of the esoteric communication experiments of John Dee and Edward Kelley. It is a modern method of scrying and angelic communication. An alternative reality model - a creative postmodern re-mix of ideas.
Designing such a model is quite difficult. As a thought experiment I tried to imagine more explanations for the orb phenomenon. My limited imagination gave only these few:
- Orbs are common manifestations of the microscopic black-holes as postulated by Stephen Hawking. They evaporate very quickly and give off energy in many frequency ranges.
- Orbs are cosmic rays striking the sensor of the camera and creating a cascade effect, thus blurring the impact point to a textured circle.
- Orbs are energy and/or information consuming life forms. Notice their similarity with some lichens. Starting from a point sized infection they spread through the emulsion or pixel matrix with the speed of light.
And another explanation is given by SCP-020 The unseen mold:
- SCP-020 is a fast-spreading fungal organism that is capable of affecting the senses and behavior of living creatures, including humans. Samples of SCP-020 exhibit an unknown effect that renders them effectively invisible to direct observation, even when under a microscope. SCP-020 is only visible to humans when viewed through photographic or video surveillance.
And a final one is from the Fortean Times forum:
- They are extremely round ghosts.
I hope to write more about alternative reality models - especially those that include observation and analysis like this You-tube video: The skies, sun and moon are different.