Sunday, December 4, 2016

Christof Mascher at Galerie Rianne Groen

I'm a fan of the Gallery Rianne Groen. The gallery is located in a quiet side street (Schietbaanstraat 21) of the Nieuwe Binnenweg in Rotterdam. The art is always interesting and surprising. The works are of museum quality, are moderately priced (in the 1000 - 5000 euro range) and totally worth the money. Unfortunately still far above my pay grade.

A few weeks ago I saw the exhibition by Christof Mascher (it closed on 3 december). I like the pictures very much.
Guppy 13, 25x18,5 cm, watercolour, indian ink and pencil on paper
They use classic technique and materials. Nothing much happens in them. But they have a magic quality for me. They show the surface of the world together with things below that surface. Innocuous landscapes with hidden mysteries. In them I recognize  my feelings about the city.
Blurry car, 25x19cm, watercolour, indian ink and pencil on paper
There are strong moods in these landscapes and vistas. Seasons are changing, weather patterns are changing. Something is patiently waiting and brooding. I would like to enter the landscapes, sit on a bench and watch, listen and feel. It would be peacefully melancholic.
Novel, 95x70cm, oil on canvas
Many the pictures feel like illustrations for a novel. They are introductory paragraphs, the stories are just beginning to take shape. For now everything looks normal, but discoveries will be made, mysteries will be revealed.

References:

No comments:

Post a Comment